Moundview Memorial Hospital & Clinics
402 W Lake St
Friendship, WI 53934
Contact via Email
Visit our Website
In 1956, a group of citizens, chaired by Robert Roseberry, took over the Adams County Memorial Hospital Association charter. Their intent was to expand a local clinic into a hospital. With the donation of eight acres of land from George and Mary Polivka, it became possible to build a new hospital rather than simply expand the clinic.
Construction of the $280,000 hospital began in 1958. Nearly 60% of the money needed to build the facility was raised through community donations and fundraisers. The remaining funds were obtained through a federal grant.
During construction, a group of women recruited volunteers to clean floors, paint, wash windows, and sew special linens and drapes. They also held fundraisers, including smorgasbords and ice cream socials. These women and many of their volunteers became the first Hospital Auxiliary, known today as Partners of MMH&C.
The hospital was dedicated in July 1959. It featured a surgical suite, maternity ward, emergency room, laboratory, x-ray room, and support services. The hospital's inpatient ward included eight rooms with two beds each, two wards with four beds each and one private room.
Over the years, the hospital has grown and changed along with the community. Building expansions were completed in 1965, 1978, 1996 and 2005. The most recent was a 5.7 million dollar project featuring a new emergency department, physician clinic, and retail space for an eye clinic and pharmacy. Additional improvements included an expansion to the x-ray department (new waiting area, and mammography, ultrasound and general radiology rooms), same day surgery expansion, meditation room, business offices, drive under canopies, and a heating/cooling system.
Coinciding with the latest expansion was a name change for the hospital from Adams County Memorial to Moundview Memorial Hospital & Clinics. The change was made to better reflect the hospital's range of services and to clear up past confusion about the hospital's ownership.
Our hospital exists today due to the hard work and determination of area residents, both past and present. The recent expansion and name change represents a new era of healthcare in Adams County. As we embark on this new beginning, Moundview Memorial Hospital & Clinics has committed itself to becoming the healthcare provider of choice by exceeding customer expectations.