Upcoming Programs and EventsNative Presence Gallery and Learning Center
Visit us at our new satelite location in down town Wisconsin Dells, WI. We feature authentic fine and folk art by Native American artists from throughout the Great Lakes area. Our exhibit calendar changes on a regular basis, daily art demonstrations and hands-on activities.
Native Presence Gallery and Learning Center
412 1/2 Broadway (Upper level in the Chalet)
Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965
Gifts of Mother Earth: Folk Art Workshop Series
- Ho-Chunk Black Ash Baskets: Kimberly Crowley (Ho-Chunk), July 29, 2017
- Lakota-style Parfleche containers: Mike Marshall (Lakota), August 26, 2017
- Porcupine quill embroidered jewelry: Melanie Tallmadge Sainz (Ho-Chunk), September 23, 2017
Contact LEAF for more workshop and membership information:
Native Presence Gallery 2017 Art Exhibition
- The Art of Ho-Chunk Basket Making exhibit, curated by Tom Jones, Associate Professor of Photography at UW-Madison and Mike Schmudlach, WI State Historical Society Board member is up through August 20th at LEAF's Native Presence Gallery, 412 1/2 Broadway, Wisconsin Dells. On August 19th, 2017 LEAF Fellow and basket artist Marian Miner will provide a demonstration of the black ash basket process. The demonstration will take place at Native Presence Gallery from Noon - 5pm.
- The public is invited to attend the opening of the exhibit, Corn Popping Moon featuring the art of 2017 LEAF Fellows: Leah LaMere Calderon (Ho-Chunk) from Ringle, WI, Christopher Sweet (Ho-Chunk) from Milwaukee, WI, and Marian Miner (Ho-Chunk) from Tomah, WI. The exhibit opening celebration will take place on August 26 from 5 - 8pm at LEAF's Native Presence Gallery. This show will be open to the public through October, 2017.
- In partnership with the Kilbourn Library in Wisconsin Dells, LEAF is facilitating a community mural painting opportunity. LEAF roster artist and 2017 LEAF Fellow Chris Sweet (Ho-Chunk) has designed a mural entitled Taking Flight. Community members are invited to get creative under the guidance of Chris to paint the three panels of the mural at the library's community room at 620 Elm Street in Wisconsin Dells on Saturday, August 12 from Noon to 5. The completed mural will be displayed on Broadway in downtown Wisconsin Dells.
- In collaboration with Edgewood College, LEAF is presenting Ho-Chunk Heritage Sunday on August 13th at the Painted Forest, E846 Painted Forest Drive in Valton, WI. Activities begin at 11am and include cattail mat weaving, native food, and a music concert from 2 - 3:30 featuring Marc LaMere and Felix Sainz.
The legacy of Chief Ahuchoga, English translation “Blue Wing” and his connection with the community of Reedsburg was commemorated through the creation of a public art mural and a variety of free programs beginning in August, 2016. This project was made possible through a grant from First Peoples Fund, a national Native organization committed to supporting and honoring Native American artists. Little Eagle Arts Foundation and Reedsburg Artslink will host muralist Wesley May (Red Lake Ojibway) and his apprentice Christopher Sweet (Ho-Chunk). To view the mural, visit the Reedsburg Chamber of Commerce in downtown Reedsburg, WI.