Dear Local Official:
Do you want reliable, affordable, and effective access to air travel? Elko Regional Airport needs your help! The airport is embarking on a campaign to garner support for a two prong campaign to connect Elko to Reno and Las Vegas by air. I kindly ask you to use the attached template letter to send me a message of support on this effort. Please complete the template and sign. You may scan this letter of support and email it to email@example.com. or mail the letter of support to:
Mr. Dana Hartshorn, P.E.
SCASDG Cities of West Wendover and Elko, Nevada
Airport Development Group, Inc.
1776 S. Jackson Street, Suite 950
Denver, Colorado 80210
This year Elko Regional Airport is working on two major efforts to provide better air service to Northeastern Nevada:
- The cities of West Wendover and Elko, which have filed an application with the Department of Transportation to participate in the Small Community Air Service Development Grant Program for air service from Wendover Airport, Utah to Elko and Reno, Nevada.
- A joint effort with Reno Tahoe International Airport and Las Vegas McCarran International Airport, and Elko Regional Airport is seeking to introduce a $5 million Nevada Air Service Development fund to the State Legislature to assist Nevada’s airports to attract and grow air service in the state. Elko would like to use this new program to connect West Wendover and Elko to Las Vegas McCarran International Airport.
Both of these efforts are aimed to benefit the area by accomplishing one or more of the following:
- Retaining current air service offerings
- Adding additional frequencies to current service
- Lowering fares
- Introducing new competitive service
- Adding new destinations
Both of these efforts are boosted through a public outreach effort to solicit public input on how air service benefits the area.
A 2014 study investigating the air travel habits of Northeastern Nevada’s residents revealed only one third of local residents who flew last year, chose to fly from Elko. Two thirds of local residents in Northeastern Nevada flew from airports that were at least three hours drive time from their home.
Of the top ten air destinations for Northeastern Nevadans, nine out of ten of these destinations are West or South of Elko while the only air destination serving Elko is geographically East of where residents want to fly.
Northeastern Nevadans fly! In 2013 32,516 residents flew on commercial scheduled flights to destinations worldwide. However, the vast majority of local residents who flew last year failed to use Elko Regional Airport because of four major factors:
1. Competitive Fares
2. Favorable Destinations
3. Favorable Schedules
4. Number of airline connections to final destination
Elko Regional Airport wants to serve the flying needs of Northeastern Nevadans. Research has found that by adding Reno and Las Vegas to the current air service offering of Salt Lake City will connect area residents to 19 of the top 20 destinations with no more than one connecting flight.
Connecting Elko to Reno adds 14 major destinations nationwide within one connecting flight. Adding Las Vegas as a destination from Elko will add an additional 145 destinations worldwide to Northeastern Nevada through one connecting flight.
Current Elko-Salt Lake City service provides connections to 89 destinations in North American and Europe through one connecting flight.
Please help me help you by bringing in state and federal support to improve connections from Elko to places where we already know Northeastern Nevadans travel. Thank you for your support!
Mark Gibbs, A.A.E
Elko Regional Airport
975 Terminal Way
Elko, Nevada, 89801