United Way of Greater St. Louis, Inc
5988 Mid Rivers Mall Dr, Ste 238
St. Charles, MO, 63304
Contact via Email
Visit our Website
Click below to visit our Website
- Community Programs
- Strengthen Health & Human Services
- More than 170 member agencies
- Dolly Parton Imagination Library
- One-Time Grants
- Fund Basic Needs
- Find or Give Help - Dial 2-1-1
- Dollar More Program
- Dollar Help
- Volunteer Center
Hours of OperationTo Find Help or Give Help, dial 2-1-1 from your mobile or land based phone.
The United Way was formed in 1887 when a Denver priest, two ministers and a rabbi recognized the need for cooperative action to address their city's welfare problems. The first campaign raised $21,700 for 22 agencies.
The United Way of Greater St. Louis began in 1922 as the Community Fund, organized by volunteers to raise money to help operate 40 charities.
By the 1950s, more than 1,000 communities across the United States and Canada had established United Ways. In 1974, United Ways raised nearly $1.04 billion, marking the first time in history that a single organization raised more than $1 billion in an annual campaign. Over its long history, the United Way has helped with everything from the Persian Gulf War to the Olympic torch relay to the President's Summit for America's Future. It's won awards, such as the Charity of Choice from Financial World magazine. Across the country, United Ways now raise more than $4 billion annually.
Today, the United Way of Greater St. Louis provides a wider social safety net, both in geographic scope and the number of agencies we support. In the late 1970s, the downtown office merged with the United Way in Swansea, IL to create the Illinois Division. An auxiliary board for the counties of St. Charles, Lincoln and Warren was established in 1980, which is now the Tri-County Division. In 1995, the United Way of Greater St. Louis entered into a partnership with the Washington United Fund, now the Franklin County Area United Way. The Tri-Cities Area Division in the southern part of Madison County, IL, was added in September 1999, and the Southwest Illinois Division, covering Jersey, Calhoun, Greene, Macoupin and northern Madison counties, was added in December 2001.
We remain a volunteer-driven organization that operates independently of all other United Ways. That means the money we raise in our community stays in our community. More than 90 cents of every dollar we receive is allocated to local agencies, fulfilling our original Community Fund mandate of "philanthropy without waste."