Northern Virginia Workforce Investment Board
11195 Gunston Road
Lorton, VA 22079
Contact via Email
Visit our Website
About UsThe SkillSource Group, Inc. (SSG) with its own Board of Directors and governing by-laws is a separate non profit entity of the Northern Virginia Workforce Investment Board (NVWIB). The SSG shares in the mission and goals of the NVWIB and has taken on the critical role to strengthen the Board financially, through oversight, as its fiscal agent and through expanding it resources by identifying appropriate contribution and investment opportunities that will sustain, enhance and create workforce development initiatives on behalf of all current and future employers, jobseekers and workers throughout the region.
So what are we about?
- We are about working strategically to foster a workforce system of educators, employers and workers.
- We are about preparing our Youth for today and tomorrow’s workforce
- We are about helping military families remain strong through skill training and employment as the relocate to our community
- We are about finding ways to accommodate disabled adults in the workplace
- We are about helping new Americans find their way to meaningful employment as they work through cultural and language challenges
- We are about developing new businesses and small enterprises as an employment opportunity
- We are about labor market information that will better assist in connecting qualified employers with area jobseekers
- We are about keeping businesses competitive with a well-trained workforce.
- We are about identifying available financial resources to assist in re-training and skill development opportunities
- We are about keeping families strong through the self esteem of a livable wage that will support families and enable participation in society, as a whole.
We are about a strong Northern Virginia workforce and employment base.
What can SkillSource Centers and The NVWIB do for you?
Northern Virginia is home to 1.7 million people and thousands of businesses and has evolved into one of the nation's liveliest centers of commerce as measured by job creation, new business formation, residential and commercial construction and retail sales. Opportunities abound for business, education, and employment. Culturally and ethnically diverse, Northern Virginia is a great place to live, work and do business.
The Northern Virginia Workforce Board has On-The-Job Training Wage Subsidy Program to Support Regional Employers
Effective January 20, 2004, the Northern Virginia Workforce Investment Board began utilizing On-The-Job Training wage subsidies to support regional employers in hiring and training local workers. These wage subsidies can be used among a number of regional industry clusters and can support up to 50% of the new worker's wages for up to three (3) months. For more information about the new OJT Wage Subsidy Program, contact the NVWIB Executive Director, David Hunn, at (703) 752-1606 or email at email@example.com.
The Northern Virginia Workforce Investment Area was formed by seven counties and cities (Fairfax, Fairfax City, City of Falls Church, Loudoun, Prince William, Manassas, and Manassas Park) under the Workforce Investment Act of 1998. The Workforce Investment Board administers the federally funded employment & training program, which serve adults and families (economically disadvantaged) and other eligible workers who have lost their jobs. The Workforce Investment Area supports public/private partnerships involving local government, business and industry, labor, education and training institutions, employment services, and community support organizations.
Services Provided to Employers
- Placement and Staffing
- Business Service Center
- Northern Virginia Labor Market Information System
- Job Posting
- Resume Bank
- Federal Bonding Program
The Northern Virginia Labor Market Information System was based on the 2005 Regional survey of employers in the Northern Virginia Business community. It was created to provide employers with valuable information about skill sets, labor market trends and salary infromation to help them find the right candidates to fit their needs. Free to use and a valuable resouce.
Services Provided to Those Starting A Business
Offered by Zeiders Enterprises, Inc. in Cooperation with The Northern Virginia Workforce Investment Board (NVWIB)
Northern Virginia’s job market is easy to enter if you know where to start. Whether you are looking for a more rewarding career, recently graduated or are actively looking for a new job after being laid off, we can help! Using our free employment services, you are sure to find a rewarding career and gain the skills to make you successful in the workplace.
Employment services can be found at any One Stop or SkillSource Center in Northern Virginia. At these centers, you will find a variety of events and workshops for preparing your resume and acing an interview. Other services include personalized counseling, skills assessment and free access to fax machines and the Internet.
The Northern Virginia Workforce Investment Board is a team of private and public sector partners who share a common goal-promoting the economic prosperity and long-term growth of Northern Virginia.
Our mission is to advance an integrated, highly responsive workforce investment system that gives businesses and job seekers the tools they need to stay competitive in today's global marketplace. Broadly speaking, this means:
- Equipping businesses with the skilled workers, up-to-the-minute labor market information, and inside resources that help them work smarter and build their bottom lines.
- Providing job seekers with the skills training, self-exploration tools, and job search resources that put rewarding, sustaining careers well within their reach.
- Giving youth the opportunities for self-assessment, career exploration, and hands-on work experience.
- Helping entrepreneurs with knowledge and resources to start new enterprises and expand existing ones.
- Attracting new businesses to our thriving three county and four city region.