ProMEDICA Coldwater Regional Hospital
274 E Chicago St.
Coldwater, MI 49036
Phone: (517) 279-5395
- Acute Medical
- Behavioral Health Services
- Birthing Services and Education
- Cancer Center
- Ear, Nose, & Throat
- Home Health and Hospice
- Outpatient Laboratory
Hours of OperationCommunity Health Center
of Branch County
274 East Chicago Street
Coldwater, MI 49036-2088
About Community Health Center
Since opening its doors in 1939, the Community Health Center of Branch County (CHC) has grown into an acute care medical facility campus spread over 28 acres just east of downtown Coldwater. The county-owned hospital is accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, considered the gold standard of hospital accreditation.
While the Branch County Board of Commissioner appoints CHC Board members and must approve large expenditures and construction projects, CHC does not receive any tax support from the county. It is governed by its Board of Trustees who determines hospital policy and provides direction and counsel on management, administration, planning, and development.
CHC offers state-of-the-art diagnostic imaging, full laboratory services, physical therapy and rehabilitation, home health and hospice care, inpatient behavioral health, cancer center, sleep center, wound healing center, pediatrics, and more. The hospital also has four clinics: two family practice, one internal medicine, and one pediatric practice.
CHC's highly qualified medical staff of over 100 physicians provides patients with expert inpatient and outpatient care ranging from obstetrics to hospice, and including anesthesia, general and vascular surgery, internal medicine, radiology, orthopedics, pediatrics, oncology, family practice, and emergency care. Affiliate and consulting staff provide care in the specialties of allergy/immunology, cardiology, plastic surgery, infectious diseases, neurology, and pulmonology. Each year the medical staff hosts a critical and primary care symposium that features nationally known speakers.
We also provide the community with diabetes and nutrition education, administers and hosts several support groups, and holds health fairs and seminars.
CHC insures quality care through several avenues including accreditation by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, our Commitment to Quality Committee which oversees the quality or performance improvement process, utilitzation management/review program, ethics committee, annual employee education, and staff continuing education.
Wade Memorial Hospital
Wade Memorial Hospital was the first public hospital in the county. Founded by a surgeon from Fremont, Indiana, it was constructed from a private residence at a cost of $56,000. It was destroyed by fire in December of 1937. Local residents, including attorney W. Glenn Cowell and the Branch County Medical Society, spearheaded a drive to build a new hospital. The Kellogg Foundation and the Public Works Administration provided 90% of the needed funds with local citizens and businesses donating the remainder.
Serving Healthcare Needs
On the 18th of November, 1939, the Community Health Center of Branch County opened its doors to serve the healthcare needs of the area with 36 beds and 70 employees. Since then two major additions have been made to the original structure, one in 1955 and the larger in 1971. In 2003 a 27,000 square foot renovation and 16,000 square foot addition were completed. CHC now has 71 acute medical and 16 adult pychiatric beds with over 600 employees serving the Branch County area.
Services include 24-hour physician staffed emergency room, a critical care unit, cardiopulmonary and respiratory care, surgical services, sexual assault services and in-patient behavioral health services as well as a full range of outpatient laboratory and radiology services. Health education and support groups, and psychiatric programs are also available. Clinics within the hospital include the Maternal Infant Health Program, Sleep Lab, Cancer and Hematology Center and Birthing Center.
Today CHC has a full campus which houses not only the hospital, but the Family Medicine Clinic, Substance Treatment and Referral Service, the Houghton Family Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Center, Diabetes Education, Cardiac Rehabilitation, Home Health and Hospice services, and the CHC Pediatric and Adolescent Center. Located off campus is the Union City Medical Center.
In 2014, CHC celebrated 75 years of providing quality care for the health of our community.