Iron Door Restaurant

Our Opening Date for 2018 is: Friday May 11, 2018  Mothers Day Weekend. Located in Historic Johnsville in an over 100-year-old structure. In 1961 The Iron Door was established as a restaurant. Be prepared for an ambiance of Old World-Ne...

Learn More View Our Digital Displays

About Iron Door Restaurant


About Us About Us
About Us About Us
Our Opening Date for 2018 is: Friday May 11, 2018  Mothers Day Weekend. Located in Historic Johnsville in an over 100-year-old structure. In 1961 The Iron Door was established as a restaurant. Be prepared for an ambiance of Old World-New World with 1800's and 1900"s antiques, Sugar Pine wood flooring and pictures depicting the former mining town. Expect a fine dinning experience, impeccable service, delicious appetizers, and creative entrees. Rave Reviews for the Delicious Tender Beef, perfectly-prepared Seafood & Lobster Tails, German Schnitzel, Pasta creations and Nightly Specialty dishes. Owner/Operators Bonnie and Chris David suggest you come early and have a drink at the Full Bar before dining. A short 4 mile drive from Graeagle up the Johnsville Road. Dinner served from 5 pm nightly (closed Tuesdays). Open from May to the last Sunday in October. Reservations Recommended. 836-2376. The Iron Doors Little Girl Ghost The Little Girl Ghost stories have been told & retold for decades from each of the five owners of The Iron Door to the next. Our customers often ask about her so here is her story. Macel Moriarty died at the young age of 10 from Rheumatic Fever. She was one of ten children and lived in the small Red House just across from the Plumas Eureka State Park Museum. The Moriarty home has been restored and is open during the summer months for tours with a Park Docent who will give all the history they have accumulated over the years. Macel has a comfortable attachment to the building and has not left the original 1906 old General Store & Post Office which is now, “ The Iron Door Restaurant.” The Iron Door has been a restaurant since 1961 and all 5 owners and many guests have seen or felt evidence of Macels presence in the building. She is reportedly not evil but a happy child who is just not ready to leave Johnsville Johnsville and The Iron Door Johnsville was founded in 1876 and named after William Johns who was the general manager of The Plumas Eureka Mine. The mine complex was started much earlier, in 1851, when a rich ledge of Goldbearing quartz was discovered midway up the mountain. The mine, a consolidation of four original claims was from 1872 owned and operated by a British firm, the Sierra Buttes Gold Mining Company Ltd., of London.   Johnsville continued to grow and became the population center distributing goods and services to the miners; it was the third town on the mountain, after Jamison City and Eureka Mills. Approximately a year after fire destroyed Johnsville in 1905, the present building housing the Iron Door was built.   After producing an estimated $27,000,000, the mine slowed to a trickle in the 1890’s; under a variety of ownership it was operated into the early 1940’s. The nearby Jamison Mine produced about $2,000,000 more from the late 1890’s until about 1919. In 1961 the Iron Door Restaurant was established in the building which had housed a general store and post office. It is the only business establishment in Johnsville today.   Population estimates vary widely; the mining payroll in the peak years was from 340 to 400, at least half of them being single men. The present population of Johnsville varies depending on the time of the year from 30 in the winter to 75 in the summer.   Although Plumas Eureka State Park, part of the California State Park system, is an immediate neighbor, the historic community of Johnsville is all privately-owned property. The above information kindly furnished by George Ross of Graeagle, California  
The Lost Sierra Chamber of Commerce
A PROUD MEMBER OF

The Lost Sierra Chamber of Commerce

Scan to access our Mobile App