About Iron Door Restaurant
Located in Historic Johnsville in an over 100-year-old structure. In 1961 The Iron Door was established as a restaurant. Be prepared for an ambiance of Old World-New World with 1800's and 1900"s antiques,
Sugar Pine wood flooring and pictures depicting the former mining town. Expect a fine dinning experience, impeccable service, delicious appetizers, and creative entrees. Rave Reviews for the Delicious Tender Beef, perfectly-prepared Seafood & Lobster Tails, German Schnitzel, Pasta creations and Nightly Specialty dishes.
Owner/Operators Bonnie and Chris David suggest you come early and have a drink at the Full Bar before dining. A short 4 mile drive from Graeagle up the Johnsville Road. Dinner served from 5 pm nightly (closed Tuesdays). Open from May to the last Sunday in October. Reservations Recommended. 836-2376.
The Iron Doors Little Girl Ghost
Macel has a comfortable attachment to the building and has not left the original 1906 old General Store & Post Office which is now, “ The Iron Door Restaurant.” The Iron Door has been a restaurant since 1961 and all 5 owners and many guests have seen or felt evidence of Macels presence in the building.
She is reportedly not evil but a happy child who is just not ready to leave Johnsville
Johnsville and The Iron Door
Johnsville was founded in 1876 and named after William Johns who was the general manager of The Plumas Eureka Mine. The mine complex was started
much earlier, in 1851, when a rich ledge of Goldbearing quartz was discovered midway up the mountain. The mine, a consolidation of four original
claims was from 1872 owned and operated by a British firm, the Sierra Buttes Gold Mining Company Ltd., of London.
Johnsville continued to grow and became the
population center distributing goods and services to
the miners; it was the third town on the mountain,
after Jamison City and Eureka Mills. Approximately
a year after fire destroyed Johnsville in 1905, the
present building housing the Iron Door was built.
After producing an estimated $27,000,000, the
mine slowed to a trickle in the 1890’s; under a
variety of ownership it was operated into the early
1940’s. The nearby Jamison Mine produced about
$2,000,000 more from the late 1890’s until about
1919. In 1961 the Iron Door Restaurant was established
in the building which had housed a general store
and post office. It is the only business
establishment in Johnsville today.
Population estimates vary widely; the mining
payroll in the peak years was from 340 to 400, at
least half of them being single men. The present
population of Johnsville varies depending on the
time of the year from 30 in the winter to 75 in the
Although Plumas Eureka State Park, part of the
California State Park system, is an immediate
neighbor, the historic community of Johnsville is
all privately-owned property.
The above information kindly furnished by
George Ross of Graeagle, California