The Phoenix Rescue Mission had very humble beginnings.
In 1952, LeRoy Davidson, a 28-year-old Phoenix house painter, attended a service where he talked with Jimmy Carr from California about the need for a Christian mission in Phoenix.
Jimmy, LeRoy, and LeRoy's wife, Grace, felt that the Lord had laid it on their hearts to save the souls of the men struggling on the streets of Phoenix.
The first evening of operation, a simple meal was prepared to be served after the gospel was shared. The Davidsons' eight-year-old son, Stanley, helped his mother make plain sandwiches of bread and bologna to be served with Kool-Aid. About 15 migrant workers and vagrants attended, sitting on wooden planks supported by paint cans. Grace named their new venture the Phoenix Gospel Mission.
The Mission grew so quickly that it had to move twice within two years.
In 1954, six local businessmen incorporated the Phoenix Gospel Mission at a location on South 3rd Street, on the current location of Chase Field.
The Phoenix Rescue Mission is a place of hope, healing, and new beginnings for men, women, and children in our community struggling with homelessness, addiction, and trauma.
A community mobilized to transform lives and end hunger and homelessness.
Hope for Hunger | Phoenix Rescue Mission Jussane Goodman
Providing healthy meals to those who need it. Every day, Hope for Hunger Food Bank provides emergency food and more for roughly 130 families in Glendale and parts of Phoenix and Peoria. The food bank is a true beacon of hope to the community - a place where caring volunteers come together as the hands and feet of Jesus - creating healthier, stronger futures and lives transformed.