August 28th - Happy Hour on the Lake, 5:00 p.m., Lakeside.
(Look for us outside on the patio weather permitting - otherwise we will be inside. Come by boat, car or bike.) Be prepared to have your picture taken.
September 29th - Terrace Mill
Fall Festival - Food, Vendors, Music
Cost: Adults - $10; Students - $5 ;
Children 5 & Under Free
(watch for more information)
October 17 - Family Night (all ages)
(All Newcomers - all ages) - watch for more information)
Did you sign up for a Special Interest Group?? Are you interested in being a Group Starter?
We need some Group Starters for the Glenwood Lakes Area Newcomers Specific Interest Groups. Group starters will get the specific group together the first time. Emails and phone numbers will be given to the Group Starter. All you have to do is plan the date, time and place for that first get together. Then as a group you will plan when you want to meet again.
Remember if you've met someone new, remind them to contact Kay at the Welcome Center to set up a visit if they haven't already had one. We want to do a personal visit with our area Newcomers as well as help them get involved in the community.
What to learn more about the fastest growing sport in the U.S.? Pickleball!
Join the Newcomers Group Starters on Thursday, September 5th at the City Park Tennis Courts and experience the game of Pickleball. Free demonstrations, mini-lessons. Drop-In between 4:00-7:00 p.m. Pickleball is a sport for all ages!
All children must accompanied by a parent, guardian or adult.
Rain date is September 12th.
The Court is marked off and ready to go at the city park tennis courts. Thanks to the Pickleball volunteers Tom Knoll Mike & Jean Noland (photo by Jean Noland).
Pope County Farmer's Market
Tuesday's & Saturday's all Summer!
The Pope County Farmers's Market, is open Saturday mornings from 8:30-11:30 a.m. and Tuesdays from 4:00-6:00 p.m. Our last Tuesday market is tonight August 27th.
The market will be located in the parking lot by Pope County Museum (look for the totem pole).
Looking for "Be Kind Grow Kindness" signs for your garden? They are now available at:
Central Square Box Office in Glenwood
Hairitage Square in Villard
St Paul's Lutheran Church in Lowry
2019 Minnewaska Area Schools
2019 Homecoming Parade &
Community Pep Fest
Friday, September 20th
12:45 p.m. Parade - State Hwy 28, Glenwood, MN 1:20 p.m. Community Pep Fest at Glenwood City Park
Business in Glenwood are encouraged to decorate their business windows to show support for our Minnewaska Lakers.
Business and Organizations are encouraged to be part of the parade.
1. Staging will take place on 3rd Street N.E., 1st Ave N.E, and the gravel parking lot near Health & Human Services and Casey's. More information and instructions will be sent out ahead of time, plus volunteers will be on hand to direct people to the proper staging areas the day of the event.
2. Units will be placed in the lineup at the discretion of the staging volunteers/and or staff
3. Parade begins in front of Pope County Humane Services and proceeds on Minnesota Avenue to 2nd Street SW corner of the Dollar Store.
4. All parade participants should dress according to the weather.
5. Units can walk, pedal or be motorized. Floats please state length of float when you describe the float to help the volunteers that are staging.
6. Candy and promotional items MAY be thrown or handed out at the parade.
7. NO brochures or literature may be handed out along the sides of the Minnesota Avenue during the parade!
8. Any animals in the parade must have a “clean-up crew”.
9. Cancellations due to severe weather will be announced by 9:00 a.m. on parade day.
Pope County Mobile Food Drop will be held Tuesday, September 10 from 12:00-2:00 p.m. at the Glenwood United Parish, 10 17th Avenue NW, Glenwood. Distribtion of food begins at 12 p.m. but registration begins at 11:00 a.m. At registration you receive a number that coordinates with your spot in line. The Mobile Food Drop is a monthly food distribution event. Anyone who eats and lives in Pope County is able to utilize this program. Please bring boxes to carry your food. This monthly event is made possible by the United Way of Pope and Douglas Counties. Upcoming food drop dates are are October 8 and November 12.
Story Time Begins September 12 -register now
Story Time will begin on Thursday, September 12, at 10:30 a.m. and run every Thursday for ages 3-5 years old.
Introduce your toddler to the library and world of books. Register your preschool child for this free, fun program.
Stories will be read and there will be crafts, games, songs and more. Stop b the library or call 634-3375.I
Thank you to this week's Community Comment's Sponsors:
Dr. Gerald & Lois Maher, Glenn & Ann Miller, Pizza Ranch, Pope County Ag. Society, Pope County Corn & Soybean Association and Pope County Daycare Association.