(All Newcomers - all ages) - watch for more information)
Did you sign up for a Special Interest Group?? Are you interested in being a Group Starter?
We need some Group Starters for the Glenwood Lakes Area Newcomers Specific Interest Groups. Group starters will get the specific group together the first time. Emails and phone numbers will be given to the Group Starter. All you have to do is plan the date, time and place for that first get together. Then as a group you will plan when you want to meet again.
Remember if you've met someone new, remind them to contact Kay at the Welcome Center to set up a visit if they haven't already had one. We want to do a personal visit with our area Newcomers as well as help them get involved in the community.
Postcards Now Available at the Glenwood Lakes Area Welcome Center & Chamber
The Glenwood Lakes Area Welcome Center worked with Jim Palmer, Palmer Creations to create some NEW postcards promoting Glenwood.
At this time these postcards are available at the Chamber & Welcome Center Building at 7 First Street NW, Glenwood and sell for .50 each.
Pope County Farmer's Market
Open on Saturday's Only
September & October
The Pope County Farmers's Market, is open Saturday mornings ONLY September & October from 8:30-11:30 a.m.
The market is located in the parking lot by Pope County Museum (look for the totem pole).
Want to learn more about the fastest growing sport in the U.S.? Pickleball!
Join the Newcomers Group Starters on Thursday, September 5th at the City Park Tennis Courts and experience the game of Pickleball. Free demonstrations, mini-lessons. Drop-In between 4:00-7:00 p.m. Pickleball is a sport for all ages!
All children must accompanied by a parent, guardian or adult.
Rain date is September 12th.
The Court is marked off and ready to go at the city park tennis courts. Thanks to the Pickleball volunteers Tom Knoll Mike & Jean Noland (photo by Jean Noland).
Minnewaska Area Schools
2019 Homecoming Parade &
Community Pep Fest
Friday, September 20th
12:45 p.m. Parade - State Hwy 28, Glenwood, MN 1:20 p.m. Community Pep Fest at Glenwood City Park
Business in Glenwood are encouraged to decorate their business windows to show support for our Minnewaska Lakers.
Business and Organizations are encouraged to be part of the parade.
1. Staging will take place on 3rd Street N.E., 1st Ave N.E, and the gravel parking lot near Health & Human Services and Casey's. More information and instructions will be sent out ahead of time, plus volunteers will be on hand to direct people to the proper staging areas the day of the event.
2. Units will be placed in the lineup at the discretion of the staging volunteers/and or staff
3. Parade begins in front of Pope County Humane Services and proceeds on Minnesota Avenue to 2nd Street SW corner of the Dollar Store.
4. All parade participants should dress according to the weather.
5. Units can walk, pedal or be motorized. Floats please state length of float when you describe the float to help the volunteers that are staging.
6. Candy and promotional items MAY be thrown or handed out at the parade.
7. NO brochures or literature may be handed out along the sides of the Minnesota Avenue during the parade!
8. Any animals in the parade must have a “clean-up crew”.
9. Cancellations due to severe weather will be announced by 9:00 a.m. on parade day.
Join the Glenwood Fire Department for their weekly meat raffle on Saturday's
at 4:00 p.m. at the Village Inn in Glenwood. All proceeds donated to local programs.
Pope County Mobile Food Drop will be held Tuesday, September 10 from 12:00-2:00 p.m. at the Glenwood United Parish, 10 17th Avenue NW, Glenwood.
Distribtion of food begins at 12 p.m. but registration begins at 11:00 a.m. At registration you receive a number that coordinates with your spot in line. The Mobile Food Drop is a monthly food distribution event.
Anyone who eats and lives in Pope County is able to utilize this program. Please bring boxes to carry your food. This monthly event is made possible by the United Way of Pope and Douglas Counties.
Upcoming food drop dates are are October 8 and November 12.
Story Time Begins September 12 -register now...
Story Time will begin on Thursday, September 12, at 10:30 a.m. and run every Thursday for ages 3-5 years old.
Introduce your toddler to the library and world of books.
Register your preschool child for this free, fun program.
Stories will be read and there will be crafts, games, songs and more.
Stop by the library or call 634-3375.I
Legion, Boy Scouts to host flag burning event, September 8th.
Those with old or damaged American flags can dispose of them properly by bringing them to a flag-burning event at 4 p.m. on Sunday, September 8 at the American Legion Post in Glenwood. The event will be done by the American Legion and the Glenwood Boys Scouts. The public is welcome.
Thank you to this week's Community Comment's Sponsors:
Anna & Paul Martinson, Doris M. Morris, Pope County Early Childhood/Thrive, Pope County Farm Bureau, Pope County H.E.L.P. Council and Pope County Historical Society.