Camp Perry Lodging & Conference Center
Building 600, Camp Perry
Port Clinton, OH 43452
Text the word: CPLCC To: 21777
- Civilian Marksmanship Store
- Fishing Pier
- Conference Center
- Troop Recreation Area
- Range and Training Operations
Hours of OperationBy Appointment
Camp Perry was named after Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, the victorious American Commander who defeated the British in 1813 in the Battle of Lake Erie. The Ohio Legislature officially names the Camp on May 1, 1908.
The need for the Camp was established during the Spanish-American War of 1898 when American naval gunnery and marksmanship skills proved to be deficient. In response, a Congressional Act of 1903 gave federal funding assistance to those state militias providing marksmanship instruction camps and practice rifle matches.
While duck hunting in the marshes along Lake Erie in 1905 General Ammon B. Critchfield, Adjutant General for the State of Ohio, located an ideal range site where all firing could be done from a common line directed toward the shoreline, maximizing natural light conditions.