1910 W. Martket St.
Akron, OH 44313
Text the word: FIRSTENERGYCORP To: 72727
FirstEnergy Corp. was formed in 1997 through the merger of Ohio Edison Company and Centerior Energy Corporation. Through this merger, FirstEnergy became the holding company for Ohio Edison and its Pennsylvania Power Company subsidiary, as well as The Cleveland Electric Illuminating Company and The Toledo Edison Company. At that time, FirstEnergy was the 11th largest investor-owned electric system in the nation, based on annual electric sales of 64 billion kilowatt-hours, with total assets of nearly $20 billion. Based in Akron, Ohio, the new company employed some 10,000 employees, served 2.2 million customers within 13,200 square miles of northern and central Ohio and western Pennsylvania, and had approximately 12,000 megawatts of generating capacity.
FirstEnergy nearly doubled its revenue to more than $12 billion and customers served to more than 4.3 million when it merged with the former GPU, Inc., based in Morristown, N.J., in 2001.