About Wheeler Mortuary Inc.
Wheeler Mortuary has been family-owned and operated for over 127 years and by five generations. Upon the death of Walter Wheeler in 1921, Walters son, Alma Young A.Y., took over the business and rented the mortuarys first facility. In 1923, Wheeler Mortuary was built at 355 East 100 North in Springville. It wasnt until 1940, that the mortuary moved to its current location at 211 East 200 South in Springville. In 1948, the east-end viewing room, casket room, and basement garages were added. Walter Wheeler was the mortuarys founder in 1888. While working in the stonemason industry with his father-in-law, Thomas Child, Walter was injured and therefore unable to continue in that field. As a good friend of William Henry Taylor, the predominant undertaker in Salt Lake City, Walter served an apprenticeship and learned the trade. In 1903, a law was passed that required licensing for embalmers. Walter attended Myers College for Embalming, earned his certificate, and was the first licensed embalmer in the state.
A.Y. passed away in 1957 and his son, Blaine, took over the family business. Under Blaine, the mortuary underwent a second edition which included the west-end viewing room and public restrooms. Blaine and his wife, Melba worked very hard during this time and dedicated their lives to the service of others.