About City of Hugo
The original village site consisted of approximately three square miles. St. Paul and Duluth Railroad, now called the Burlington Northern Railroad, was built through the township in 1868. Due to the proximity of the railroad depot to Centerville, the area became known as the Centerville Station. In 1906, the 258 people in the Centerville Station area decided to incorporate the Village of Hugo.
Over the next 66 years, the village continued to exist as a small farming and railroad community. In January 1972, the Township of Oneka was consolidated with the Village of Hugo. The Township government, which had served the area for over 100 years, was dissolved and a new government consisting of a Mayor and four Council members was instituted. In 1986, the City adopted the Plan A Statutory form of government calling for a Mayor, four Council members, and City Administrator.
The population of Hugo is now more than 12,417 people and covers 36 square miles. The City has approximately 100 miles of City streets; maintenance is performed by the City's Public Works Department. The Washington County Sheriff Department provides police services on a contractual basis and the City provides fire and rescue service throughout the use of paid-on-call Firefighters & EMTs. The full staff consists of a City Administrator, Community Development Director, Associate Planner, Community Development Assistant, Finance Director, Building Official, Building Inspectors, Public Works Director and seven full-time workers, City Clerk, Utility Billing Clerk and Building Department/Administrative Secretary.