27 Main St
Text the word: LYONCOUNTY To: 72727
Hours of OperationCall us for more information.
Lyon County is nestled in the Flint Hills region of eastern Kansas 100 miles southwest of Kansas City. The county seat, Emporia, lies between the Neosho and Cottonwood Rivers.
- Population (2009 estimate) 33,601
- Median household income, (2008) $36,526
- Persons per square mile, (2009) 40
- High school graduate or higher (2009) 81.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher 23.5%
- Source: U.S. Census Bureau
last update May 7, 2010
Lyon County was originally known as Breckenridge County. With the secession of the South, however, the residents of the county changed the name to Lyon in honor of Nathaniel Lyon, the first Union General killed in the War Between the States. The late Walter M. Anderson, an area historian and photographer, documented the early days of the county, and how Emporia became the county seat. The following is an explanation Mr. Anderson compiled regarding those early days of the county.