GFWC Woman's Club of Macclenny
P.O. Box 641
Macclenny, FL 32063
Phone: (904) 259-3666
The object of this club shall be the social pleasure and self-culture of its members and a united effort to further civic movements.
The General Federation of Women’s Clubs, an international women’s organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service, celebrated its 129th anniversary on April 24, 2019. Ten members of the GFWC Woman’s Club of Macclenny attended the celebration held with District 4’s GFWC Woman’s Club of Starke.
Our President Cheryl Lunn, presented a program on the history of the founding by Jane Cunningham Croly. The seeds for GFWC’s existence were sown in New York in 1868 when journalist and founder Jane Cunningham Croly was denied entry because of her gender to a press club dinner honoring author Charles Dickens, leading her to form a woman’s club, Sorosis.
On April 24, 1890, 63 clubs officially formed the General Federation of Women’s Club by ratifying the GFWC constitution.