First Southern Baptist Church
405 N. 3rd Street
Buckeye, AZ 85326
About UsFirst Southern Baptist Church of Buckeye celebrated it's 75th year as a fellowship and has stood as a "Diamond in the Desert" with a history of sacrifice and toil. Over seven decades ago a handful of Christians were confident that the Lord had a task for this congregation, a mission to fulfill. With a vision and a will to work, they would "follow where He led." Today we are the fruits of their labor and vision. Surely those early leaders were "jewels" sparkling with a rare vision. As the saguaro is a "giant" among the cacti, even so were those leaders "giants" in prayer and dedication.
As early as 1923, interest was shown in establishing Southern Baptist work in the then very small community of Buckeye. This work was begun as an outreach ministry of First Southern Baptist Church of Phoenix.
The church was organized in 1925, becoming the eighth Southern Baptist Church in Arizona. The membership consisted of six women meeting in City Hall which also house the local jail.
Construction of the "Rock Church" was begun in 1927 with rough lava stones hauled from the Hassayampa River area. The property was purchased for $50 with the seller donating $10 of this amount. In the late 1930's, the small group almost lost the building due to financial difficulties.
A parsonage was constructed on the property in 1945. In 1953 and educational annex was built. A offsite parsonage was purchased in 1980.
The "Rock" structure served the church served the church for three decades, and it was with mixed emotions that members watched as bulldozers razed it to the ground making way for the new facilities which was begun in 1960. During this time of construction, services were held in the 100F hall. Dedication Services for the new building were held in 1962. The $120,000 note was "burned" at the 50th Anniversary in 1975. In 1991 a "Vision to Grow" promotion raised $376,000 enabling us to construct the building across the street from the sanctuary, thoroughly renovate our current buildings and purchase property for Hispanic ministry in 1995. The property was recently sold.
Seven missions have been sponsored by the church. Since 1925 over $1,100,000 has been given to mission causes.
Kindergarten was started in 1954 and served the community until 1973 when the public school Kindergarten started. The Child Enrichment Center was begun in 1983 and continues to minister to over 50 children each year.
The first recorded budget was $6,511. The budget for the year 2000 was $266,733. Since 1925, almost six million dollars have been given through our tithes and offerings. We have grown from six charter members to more than 800 resident members.
Twenty one dedicated pastors have led this fellowship during these 75 years.
The church has struggled against all kinds of difficulties - financial, social, and religious, but our Heavenly Father has led us on and on from victory to triumph winning hundreds to the savior. We are grateful for the past and look toward the new challenges with excitement and hope.