Florida Public Utilities
331 West Central Ave., Suite 200
Winter Haven, FL 33880
Central Florida Gas began in the early 1930's under the Owens family in Winter Haven, FL. The company originally manufactured gas from coal at the same location the CFG Winter Haven Plant is located today. In 1959, Coastal States Oil and Gas bought Central Florida Gas from the Owens family. The new company's first project was to convert the gas distribution system to the use of natural gas.
Jesse Lowe was working for Coastal States Oil and Gas at the time of the purchase. It was actually during his prospecting for the company that CFG was located and purchased. Jesse saw the potential CFG had in respect to its location and the undoubtedly successful future the area would hold.
Several years later, in 1962, Jesse Lowe purchased Central Florida Gas from Coastal States Oil and Gas, thus began the Lowe family's influence in Central Florida and the gas industry itself.
One of the first items on Jesse's bill was to bring natural gas to industrial customers in the area that were still burning coal. CFG's first industrial account, Bordo Citrus, signed an agreement with CFG in 1962. Bordo Citrus, now known as WG Roe, is still a customer of CFG today.
In addition to his desire to capture industrial customers, Jesse Lowe wanted to expand Central Florida Gas beyond Polk County. At the time when CFG was purchased from Coastal States, CFG was only in several small cities within Polk County. Another milestone came in 1970 when Jesse signed an agreement with St. Cloud Power Plant, located approximately 50 miles away in Osceola County.
After joining Chesapeake Utilities, CFG continued to expand by building a local distribution system into Citrus County in 1999. Today, with CFG's expanded territories, it is servicing natural gas accounts in 13 counties and has community and commercial propane distribution systems opportunities throughout the entire state of Florida.